Finishing Tools for Woodworking

Finishing Tools for Woodworking

The tools needed for carrying out finishing and staining wood with chemical based finishes and stains.

Craftsman Style

¶ A finisher using chemical and aniline stains needs certain tools for weighing and measuring small amounts of concentrated substances. A spring scale should never be used. A balance scale of the postal type is useful when nothing less than ounces is to be weighed. Smaller amounts require the use of a scale similar to those in use by druggists and photographers. They have weights graduated down to ounces, half ounces, quarter ounces, grains and drams. Such a scale is pictured in Picture 3.

Balance Scales for Measuring
The Type of Balance Scale Commonly Used by Photographers and Others is Essential to the Correct Mixing of Stain Formulas Calling for the Use of Coal Tar Aniline Colors in Dry Crystal Form and for Chemicals Which are Concentrated in Strength.

¶ A mortar and pestle, such as are shown in Picture 4, is very handy and a time saver when it is necessary to pulverize granular or lump chemicals before dissolving them in water.

Mortar and Pestle
Time-saving Tools for Breaking up Dry Stain Crystals and Chemicals Before Dissolving in Liquids.

¶ A one quart liquid graduate marked off into ounces, like Picture 5, is really needed, and a smaller one is also handy when it is marked off into smaller gradations.

Measuring Glasses
Glass Graduates or Measuring Glasses Used for Measuring Ounces and Less of Liquids.

¶ A glass funnel and a hard rubber stirring rod are also well worth the little they cost. All of these tools can be secured wherever photographers' supplies are carried, also through druggists. A gallon of chemical stain will cover about 500 square feet on soft woods and from 700 to 800 square feet on hard woods, one coat.

Next Page: Wood Staining with Chemicals.

This is Finishing Tools for Woodworking. is Copyright © 2005-12 by International Styles